Estimated Start Date
Estimated Duration of Work
Substation Electrical Engineer IV/V – Denver, Colorado – DIRECT
Seeking a Senior Substation Electrical Engineer. Candidates will be working as part of a multi-discipline team of Engineers and Designers at the Denver, CO office to prepare designs for new high voltage substations or modifications to existing substations for utility clients. Technical work will include preparation of equipment, bus and grounding calculations and specifications, and preparation of design documents. Design documents include physical arrangement drawings, grounding, lightning protection, lighting, cable schedules, single-line, and wiring diagrams. Documents shall be prepared in accordance with NESC and Utility requirements. Candidate will work on a Project Team and will coordinate with other disciplines, clients, vendors, and contractors. Work will include some travel to client offices, job sites or vendor facilities for factory acceptance tests.
- B.S. in Electrical or Engineering from a 4-year accredited university with course work in electrical power systems and energy conversion
- 8 years overall experience in electrical power engineering working on power or heavy industrial facilities. Experience to include:
- Design of electrical auxiliary systems for power generating stations or heavy industrial facilities
- Preparation of calculations and specifications for electrical distribution equipment including transformers, cables, switchgear and MCCs
- Familiarity with the National Electrical Code (NFPA 70)
- Preparation of schematic and single line diagrams for switchgear and MCCs
- Preparation of electrical system studies using ETAP or equivalent software
- 5 years’ experience in engineering and design of high voltage substations for U.S. Utilities. Experience to include
- Preparation of calculations and specifications for HV substation equipment including circuit breakers, bus, instrument transformers, disconnect switches, relay panels and control houses/Power Distribution Centers. Evaluation of Vendor bids and review of Vendor drawings including arrangement and wiring diagrams for all of the above equipment
- Preparation of substation physical design drawings
- Preparation of material cost estimates and Bills of Materials
- Familiarity with the National Electrical Safety Code (IEEE C2).
- Good written and oral communication skills. Must have experience working in a Team environment with clients, vendors, and contractors.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Teams.
- Passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam with plan for obtaining PE License
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering with power focus
- Experience performing walk-downs at Power Generating Stations or Utility Substations
- Professional Engineering License from any State in the U.S. with the ability to get licensed in other States by Comity.
- Experience using CDEGS or WinIGS software for design of substation ground grids
- Experience using AutoCAD or Microstation design software for preparation of electrical drawings
- Experience in application and setting of protective relays for MV or HV circuit breakers and developing associated schematics/wiring diagrams.