Estimated Start Date
Estimated Duration of Work
Electrical Engineer II/III – Charlotte, NC + Mt. Laurel, NJ
Seeking Electrical Engineers in the Charlotte NC office with 3 (6) years of experience. Candidates will be working as part of a multi-discipline team of engineers and designers to prepare designs for new high voltage substations or modifications to existing substations for utility clients. The Candidate will be working with a team of engineers and designers on overall substation electrical design, including protection and control (P&C) schemes and drawings for high voltage utility substations.
Technical work will include preparation of equipment, bus and grounding calculations and specifications, and preparation of design documents, as well as protection and control panels. Design documents include physical arrangement drawings, grounding, lightning protection, lighting, cable and conduit schedules, single-line, schematic and wiring diagrams. Work includes preparation of new drawings as well as modifications to existing station drawings. Candidate will work with and supervise designers in preparation of final drawings and shall also be capable of revising these documents and preparing/revising electronic drawing files using AutoCAD or Microstation software. Documents shall be prepared in accordance with NESC and Utility requirements.
The Candidate will work on a Project Team and will coordinate with other disciplines, clients, vendors, and contractors. Work will include some travel to client offices, job sites or vendor facilities for factory acceptance tests.
The Candidate must have good oral and written communications skills necessary for working in a team environment.
Under the direct supervision of a Supervising Electrical Engineer, candidate will be working with other engineers on a Project Team and will coordinate with other disciplines, clients, vendors, and contractors. Work will include some travel to client offices, job sites or vendor facilities for factory acceptance tests.
- Must have obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from a 4 year ABET accredited college or university
- Must have completed coursework in Power Systems Analysis, Power Distribution System Apparatus, Energy and Electric Power or related power courses
- 3 (6) years of post-graduation professional electrical engineering experience related to power systems in design of utility substations, power stations, government, or heavy industrial facilities, including experience with protective relaying principles and practices
- Experience developing single line and schematic diagrams for MV or HV circuit breakers
- Working knowledge of 2D CAD Software
- Excellent oral communication and technical writing skills
- Ability to Travel
- Passed Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam
- Ability to prepare finished technical reports, spreadsheets and presentations using Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience working with others in a Project Team environment
- Experience using ETAP or equivalent software for preparation of electrical auxiliary system studies
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering with Power focus
- PE License in any state with ability to get licensed in any other state by comity
- Utility substation design experience
- Experience using AutoCAD or Microstation software to prepare electrical drawings
- Hands on experience with electrical equipment within industrial facilities
- Field experience performing walk-downs of panel wiring at existing substations
- Experience with IEC-61850 implementation in substations
Due to the nature of work that United performs, candidates must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident of the United States