Estimated Start Date
Estimated Duration of Work
Fire Protection Engineer (SME) – Los Alamos, NM
Work Location: On-Site full time
Rate: is open and non-exempt
Hours: 40-60 hrs per week (anticipate 55 hrs per week)
Per diem: Available for those who qualify
Mob / Demob: Available for those who qualify
Trip home: 1 per month
Duration: 12 Months +
Completion Bonus Offered: YES
US Citizenship Required
The Fire Protection Engineer (Subject Matter Expert) is an advanced nuclear facility engineer who will integrate with programmatic, operations, maintenance, document control, project management personnel to ensure nuclear facility requirements are met in a way that allows accomplishment of LANL mission. Identifies and/or leads activities within a nuclear facility engineering discipline.
Position requires a Bachelor’s Degree (Masters Desired) in Engineering from an ABET accredited institution and 10 years of nuclear related experience including a minimum of 5 years minimum DOE experience in Electrical Engineering; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience directly related to the occupation. At this level a Ph.D. may be preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of and demonstrated technical experience with major commercial, industrial, or nuclear facility fire protection systems (i.e. Fire Alarm, Fire Suppression, Specialty fire suppression systems, passive fire systems (fire barriers), inertion systems, and/or public address systems.
- Advanced knowledge of and demonstrated technical experience with engineering design process and/or maintenance of fire protection systems.
- Advanced knowledge of and demonstrated technical experience with fire modeling software and its application.
- Advanced knowledge of and demonstrated technical experience with codes and standards, to include but not limited to the IBC, IEBC, NFPA, IFC, and/or UFC.
- Experience working to and thorough knowledge of LANL institutional engineering policy.
- A self-motivated individual that can work independently to communicate with technical and non-technical staff, customers, and management regarding development of engineering solutions to diverse problem sets.
- Active PE License
- Active DOE “Q” Clearance