Estimated Start Date
Estimated Duration of Work
Mechanical Engineer Lead – Los Alamos, NM
Work Location: On-Site full time
Rate: is open and non-exempt
Hours: 40-60 hrs per week (anticipate 55 hrs per week)
Per diem: Available for those who qualify
Mob / Demob: Available for those who qualify
Trip home: 1 per month
Completion Bonus Offered: YES
US Citizenship Required
The Mechanical Engineer Lead (Subject Matter Expert) will lead a team that integrates with programmatic, operations, maintenance, document control, project management personnel to ensure nuclear facility requirements are met in a way that allows accomplishment of LANL mission. Identifies and leads activities within a nuclear facility engineering discipline. Must be able to work independently and lead a team of highly skilled and knowledgeable staff in a fast paced environment. Applies broad and diversified knowledge of nuclear facility engineering principles and practices in the preparation of nuclear facility engineering deliverables. Utilizes nuclear engineering technology to accomplish work and continuously improves work processes to meet customer needs.
Position requires a Bachelor’s Degree (Masters Desired) in Engineering from an ABET accredited institution and 10 years of nuclear related experience including a minimum of 5 years minimum DOE experience in Mechanical Engineering; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience directly related to the occupation. At this level a Ph.D. may be preferred.
- Demonstrated experience as a mechanical engineer at a major commercial, industrial, or nuclear facility with a strong background in facility related systems (i.e. HVAC, Compressed Air).
- Demonstrated experience in the design, operation, and maintenance of facility related mechanical systems.
- Demonstrated experience in trouble shooting mechanical systems.
- Demonstrated experience in application of codes and standards in a highly regulated work environment, to include but not limited to the IBC, IEBC, ASHRE, B31.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate technical issues to a broad audience.
- Demonstrated ability to perform analysis and calculations required to support engineered solutions.
- Ability to work independently with minimum guidance for assigned tasks and effectively communicate engineering solutions both verbally and written with management, customers, peers, and craft personnel and to manage multiple tasks requiring varying resource needs and deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and review technical reports and studies as part of establishing and maintaining Technical Baseline for new and existing facility structural systems.
- Demonstrated ability to define and collect the usage, process, safety, and other requirements for the structure, system, or component design or analysis tasks, and prepare design concepts that meet the requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to develop design details, design or analysis calculations, load studies, specifications, and special inspections that incorporate the applicable design requirements, including nuclear safety requirements, as applicable.
- Demonstrated experience evaluating and trending system health.
- Demonstrated ability to interface and coordinate with other engineering disciplines and the customer during the development of the design as the Mechanical SME.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor engineering interns and other engineers.
- Demonstrated experience with nuclear air handling system requirements.
- Demonstrated experience with mechanical system computational software for mechanical systems (i.e., Train Trace, Pipe Flow).
- Demonstrated experience as a mechanical engineer at a DOE non-reactor nuclear facility with a strong background in facility related mechanical systems (i.e. HVAC, Compressed Air).
- Demonstrated experience with the application of DOE Orders and Standards as related to facility systems.
- Demonstrated experience working within an ASME NQA-1 or similar quality program.
- Support the associated safety analyses and hazards evaluations.
- Active DOE “Q” Clearance