Estimated Start Date
Estimated Duration of Work
HVAC Design Engineer
We are seeking applicants for the role of HVAC Design Engineer. The Engineer is responsible for the design of HVAC systems for buildings in the power plant. This role requires frequent interfacing with other engineering disciplines and licensing groups as well as capable management of system integration activities. The Engineer must be eager to learn new skills to create feasible/practical solutions to challenging design problems. The Engineer will be part of a team executing a U.S. Government cost-shared development program requiring efficient completion of engineering assignments.
Specific Areas of Responsibility:
- Design HVAC systems for power plant buildings
- Assist contractors designing HVAC systems with recommendations
- Consult with vendors to develop new designs to meet unique challenges
- Review process flow diagrams, piping/ducting and instrumentation diagrams (P&ID/D&ID), system descriptions, specifications, thermal and pressure loss calculations, and control logic.
- Develop calculations for breathing air required for enclosed spaces, and air leakages from rooms/buildings.
- Develop equipment specifications and interact with vendors to obtain vendor input/design confirmation of various components.
- Review vendor/contractor designs to ensure compliance with the industry standards and system/component requirements.
- Applicants should be prepared to play an active role in a project-driven and highly integrated engineering team.
- BS in Engineering from an ABET-accredited program is required.
- Strong academic background in HVAC.
- 5-10 years of experience in the design of HVAC systems for the energy industry.
- Effective communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and capable of producing error-free documents.
- Effective communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong math, analytical, problem-solving, and computer skills.
- Eligible to work under 10 CFR Part 810.
Optional Additional Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, nuclear engineering, or closely related field.
- Industry experience in designing HVAC systems for nuclear power plants
- Experience working with engineers and fabricators to develop designs and
- Knowledge and understanding of ASHRAE standards.
- PE License
- Experience with using AutoCAD.