Estimated Start Date
Estimated Duration of Work
Senior Civil / Structural Engineer – SMR Project – REMOTE
Work Location: Remote (w/occasional trips to the site)
Citizenship: US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Rate: Not Defined / need Candidate’s requested rate (will be non-exempt)
Hours: 40 hrs / wk
Duration: Long Term / ASAP – December 2024 (staff aug for 6 months then offer to go direct)
Position Details: We are actively seeking qualified professionals to support Candu Energy engineering roles for nuclear projects in major areas, such as, new build including SMR in the province of Ontario, International new build, Refurbishment and Continuous Plant operation support modifications for nuclear generating Power Plants.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform conceptual, preliminary, and detailed design of Civil/Structural systems including definition of functional and performance requirements, environmental and seismic qualification.
- Perform assessments for various types of Civil structures and produce related documentation including assessment documents, calculations, technical specifications, etc.;
- Prepare, review and /or update Civil engineering design documents including, Design Description, Civil /Structural and Architectural Drawings, BOMs together with the supporting analysis / assessment documents (e.g., Seismic Margin Assessment, Dynamic Analysis etc.).
- Conduct Civil/Structural Design Assessments for adequacy to applicable design basis documentation (Safety Assessment Report, Margin Assessment etc.) and US / Canadian Nuclear Regulatory Codes and Standards;
- Interface with various engineering disciplines, suppliers, and other functional divisions of the company;
- Provide responses to technical enquiries from design review teams and regulatory agencies;
- Provide technical support to engineering stakeholders at site;
- Apply sound engineering principles to resolve technical issues and provide technical guidance to junior staff;
- Comply with applicable QA procedures and ensure the quality, consistency, accuracy, and completeness of engineering deliverables/task within specified timelines and budgets;
- Ensure the adequacy of design for permits and compliance with approved plans;
- Attend site meetings and perform walk-downs for data collection, inspections, condition assessment and configuration management as required;
- Prepare/review analysis and design of steel/concrete/masonry structures for new build and refurbishment of nuclear power plant.
- Prepares and reviews plant configuration packages in accordance with plant procedures;
- Support plant emergent issues, equivalency evaluations and Commercial Grade Dedication plans;
- Travel to client site is required.
- Degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited University with eight (8) to twelve (12) years of structural analysis and design experience (8 years for intermediate and 12 years for senior positions) in steel, concrete and masonry structures in the Nuclear Industry.
- Registered Professional Engineer with good standing.
- Proven experience preparing and reviewing technical reports, write-ups and engineering estimates;
- Thorough understanding of structural engineering gained through a combination of design-office and site experience;
- Experience in developing seismic spectra and seismic margin assessment is an asset;
- Experience in ASME Section III NF pipe support analysis and design are an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of Canadian and American Codes and standards used in Civil/Structural engineering such as CSA Nuclear standards, A23, S16,NBCC, IBC, ACI, AISC, and ASCE codes;
- Good understanding of CNSC and NRC requirements and interface is an asset;
- In depth knowledge of civil/structural Analysis software commonly used in Civil/Structural engineering such as ANSYS, StaadPro, SAP2000, ETABS, SAFE, MathCAD etc.;
- Solid experience with dynamic and seismic analysis of structures and foundations;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Results driven individual with strong interpersonal skills;
- Eligible for Security Clearance through Public Works and Government Services Canada (PWGSC).
- Experience in power plant is an asset.